YMOW is proceeding through the current health crisis with one thing in mind – protecting the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and most of all, our clients.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not accepting new volunteers. A small number of longtime volunteers continue to help with deliveries, but ride-alongs are no longer permitted.
Staff and volunteers are required to take and pass a daily health screening before reporting for their delivery shift. Once they arrive at YMOW, volunteers are not permitted inside the building. All meals and supplies are brought to the volunteer’s vehicle in the YMOW parking lot.
All volunteers and staff are required to commit to the following protocols:
- All staff and volunteers have undergone additional training to familiarize themselves with YMOW’s COVID-19 protocols.
- Staff are required to wear masks and goggles at all times during delivery.
- Volunteers must wear masks at all times during delivery.
- Sterile gloves and/or hand sanitizer must be used for every meal delivery.
- Staff and volunteers will practice social distancing by stepping back at least 6 feet after placing meals at the client’s door.
- Staff and volunteers are not permitted to enter a client’s home.
- All communal spaces and equipment, including van doors, steering wheels and coolers, are disinfected before and after delivery routes.
- Thorough hand washing is required before and after routes.
We also have taken precautions in the event that we are forced to halt delivery in the coming weeks. Every client has received frozen meals, shelf stable meals, liquid meal replacements and pantry staples equal to about three weeks of meals. Toilet paper, incontinence products and other necessities from our Personal Care Pantry are being delivered to clients upon request and as they become available.
In light of our reduced contact with our clients, YMOW has instituted a weekly wellness call program to gauge the needs and wellbeing of each person who receives meals.
You can help
Of course, this extra support comes at a cost. Along with the cost of emergency meals and supplies, YMOW has increased staff to make up for the loss of volunteer help. These expenses are expected to continue for a number of months.
Please consider helping in our efforts to protect our homebound neighbors by making a donation to YMOW. DONATE HERE